What is it with Workshops ?

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 29 17:11:26 UTC 2006

Hi,

I agree with the comment about a sign-up sheet, or an RSVP to the organizer.
And an RSVP doesn't mean "Yes, I'm coming", it means "Yes, I'm coming" or
"No thanks, I can't come".

I've wanted to set up a PVR for some time now, because the shuttling of
tapes in and out of the VCR is such a pain (and so 20th century). And I
would love to be able to call up something on the living room TV from the
basement server, and be able to watch it without commercials.

I was hoping to come to an evening workshop, but an event that starts at
11am Saturday is smack dab in the middle of Family Time for me .. making
pancakes for the family (ravenous teenage boys -- you get the idea),
catching up on everyone's news, playing with the cats, doing the weekend
shopping, and so forth.

Also, my PVR platform is a somewhat aged P600 with 512M of memory, a little
below the recommended minimum, and I wasn't sure that would work well. So,
for now, I'll continue to slug it out with Debian and see what I can get set
up. What I may find out is that the processor's too slow, or the video card
I have isn't compatible with the various packages I want to use. There are
inexpensive used machines out there for a couple of hundred dollars -- I
just wanted to try building something with the equipment I have lying
around.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether the lack of cable access made a
difference for this event -- I'm all for supporting the linuxcaffe, but it
could be that some people who wanted to do an install really wanted a
location equipped with cable, because that's how their final installation
would be setup.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

--
Alex Beamish