What is it with Workshops ?

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 29 15:11:58 UTC 2006

That sort of thing is very discouraging. Unfortunately, any event in
Toronto has huge competition for attention.

I'd suggest

(a) email reminders on the Day Before and possibly the Day Of. Personally,
I find such reminders often are the key to my attending some event.

(b) some sort of sign-up list, which includes an email address and phone
number. That way, if people do sign up, they have really made a
committment to attend. That can be part of the signup process: signatories
have to indicate that they are serious about attending. Notice that
restaurents often get a phone number when taking a reservation. I don't
know what they do with this (phone you at 2AM if you're a no-show at the
restaurent?), but it does act as a gentle warning that they could get back
to you to complain if you don't follow through.

The number of sign-ups is also an indication of how much real interest
there is in the event.

P.

> Yesterday, Matvey Kippershtein came in to linuxcaffe to host his
> "Wellness workshop for IT workers. The workshop had been posted on our
> site, the notice went out to several lugs and some light postering was
> done. A handful of people expressed active interest in attending, the
> general reaction was positive; good idea, but NOBODY showed up !
> This is the second time we have had a total no-show for a workshop.
> The first one was a linux audio workshop, with Sam and Dave.
>
> My question to you, good Toronto Linux Enthusiasts is; why ?
>
> wrong topics?
> wrong venue?
> wrong timeslot ?
> wrong promo ?
>
> I'm sure that the fourth (promo) could be vastly improved, but in the
> case of the wellness workshop, I was confident the the folks we DID
> reach were local and well targeted.
>
> Does anybody want to see events where knowledge is shared ?
> Should we keep trying ?
> Is there a combination that would be more effective ?
> Do you suppose anyone will attend the proposed MythTV workshop, next week
> ?
>  Any thoughts ?
>
> djp
>
> --
> djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
> www.linuxcaffe.ca
> geek chic and caffe cachet
> 326 Harbord Street,
> Toronto, M6G 3A5,
> (416) 534-2116

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325