Is there a simple streaming audio (.pls) player?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 29 03:44:21 UTC 2006

On 10/28/06, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>   I use mpg321 to play music files on my harddrive.  I don't need no
> steenkin gui for that.  mc is a great file-browser that can run in a
> true text console or an xterm.  I have it set up to launch mpg321 when I
> press <ENTER> on an mp3 file.

I've been a huge fan of cplay for a couple years - I use it to queue
and play mp3 files.  It uses mpg321 behind a Python script and text
user interface - it handles oggs and other formats as well.  I was
pleased to find that they've recently added the ability to handle mp3
streams (I don't know what the player is), although it won't accept
.pls files - you have to fetch the pls with something like curl and
then give it the actual address and port.  This could be done with a
simple script.

Sorry, no URL - it may even currently be homeless, although
development seems to continue.  I usually fetch .deb files from a
repository.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/