Is there a simple streaming audio (.pls) player?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 28 23:16:37 UTC 2006

  Much weeping and gnashing of teeth on the Gentoo forums over the
dropping of xmms from portage.  It's not Gentoo's fault.  xmms has been
abandoned by the upstream maintainer.

  I use mpg321 to play music files on my harddrive.  I don't need no
steenkin gui for that.  mc is a great file-browser that can run in a
true text console or an xterm.  I have it set up to launch mpg321 when I
press <ENTER> on an mp3 file.

  I have one other need for an audioplayer.  I'm a paying subscriber of
Live365, and I need a simple audio player to launch and play audio
streams direct off a .pls file.  Windows-Media-Player-wannabees like
amarok need not apply.  I've tried "audacious".  audacious falls flat on
its face in this task.  The current version (1.1.2-r1) does *NOT*
support mp3, or streaming mp3.  It requires a plugin package.  The
plugin package is keyword masked ~x86.  After unmasking the plugin
package, I find that it requires a higher version of audacious, which is
also keyword masked ~x86.  Etc, etc., etc.  Version 1.1.0 still supports
mp3 directly, so I've package-masked ">media-sound/audacious-1.1.0".
But wait... there's more... on at least one Live365 station, audacious
1.1.0 plays at half speed, and the singer's voice is way down low.  xmms
handles that station fine.

  I tried RealPlayer.  Unlike xmms and audacious, it can't keep up with
a 96 kbps audio stream, stuttering and buffering all the time.  This is
on an AMDK8 3000+ with 2 gigs of RAM, running Blackbox, not some
underpowered machine running a resource-hogging "desktop environment".

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://techsec.blog.ca