Redhat taking a beating - stock opportunity here?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 28 06:19:25 UTC 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 11:53, Tim Writer wrote:

> > In corporate IT, credibility is measure by the ability of a vendor to
> > deliver on its promises.
>
> Evan, I agree with a lot of what you say, but not this. Corporate
> purchasing decisions have a lot more to do with corporate politics,
> personalities, schmoozing, and the (perceived) ability to sue
> someone. Vendors of all stripes continually fail to deliver on promises yet
> little changes as a result.

Tim, I agree with a lot of what you say, including this ;-)

Another aspect of the decision process is where will the shit stick after it
hits the fan. For some interesting viewpoints in this regard see
http://confusedofcalcutta.com/2006/10/20/opensource-makes-you-responsible/ -
a few quotes:

  Open source requires you, as a manager of IT, or as a staffer, or as the
  CIO, to be willing to commit to being responsible for fixing a problem, and
  therefore, be responsible for the problem itself.

  The support contract is not about fixing the problem. The support contract
  is about allowing you to shift responsibility for the problem.

This guy was recently interviewed in LJ, definitely one of the more
interesting blogs I've run into.