Redhat taking a beating - stock opportunity here?

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 27 17:35:48 UTC 2006

On 10/27/06, Dave Cramer <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This is an interesting problem. One which is modeled in biology.
> Oracle is essentially a virus living off another organism redhat. If
> it manages to kill the host organism then how does it survive ?

If it were to be that bad, obviously somebody would assimilate the
host material, in the form of a buyout.

On 10/27/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> In any case, even those working with Oracle's support still need to buy
> Red Hat's core product unless I missed the message that Oracle is
> supporting Fedora as well. It's just that they don't need to give RH a
> cent beyond that initial purchase and upgrades. Boo Hoo.

Not necessarily, they can do what CentOS does, rebuild from RHEL
sources.  Being able to claim that they haven't forked Red Hat is
apparently important to Oracle's credibility, and even though Red Hat
coerced CentOS into removing any references to Red Hat from their
site, they can't really do that to Oracle, since Oracle would be able
to afford a legal defence.