MythTV Install Homework #1

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 27 16:47:41 UTC 2006

Ok, we have a few people who have passed word on to me
that they plan to be at the KnoppMyth install. So, I
will be putting together a bit of homework to be done
in advance for those planning to attend. The idea
being to do a few things in advance so that once the
install starts this will hopefully run a bit smoother.

First bit will be getting an account with zap2it.com:

  labs.zap2it.com

These are the folks that provide the free TV listings
that you can pop up on screen (catch being you must
log-in every 3 months to fill out a survey...). Any
event, set-up an account with the above folks. During
the account set-up you will be asked for a certificate
code which for MythTV is: ZIYN-DQZO-SBUT

When selecting a password for your zap2it.com account
make sure it is a "disposable" password (i.e.: one you
do NOT care if others see at the event), as at one
point during the set-up your password will be visible
in plain text on screen (sigh, grumble, this is a
MythTV issue, not a KnoppMyth issue...).

Other stuff, I will be looking at what other goodies
that can be brought along for the install. For
example, KnoppMyth comes with XMAME, which allow for
the running of old coin operated video software under
emulation. All those old games are under copyright,
but the copyright holders for Gridlee and Robbie Roto
have given their ok for non-commercial copying of
those programs. KnoppMyth doesn't come with any of the
old games. So, I will bring Gridlee, Robbie Roto and
what ever other non-included legally copyable goodies
that I can come up with. Any suggestions beyond
Gridlee and Robbie Roto?

Colin McGregor