Redhat taking a beating - stock opportunity here?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 27 16:22:11 UTC 2006

Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> IF Oracle buys RedHat,
Read the announcements. Oracle has no plans (at this time) to do so; IMO
it never did (outside of a few mumbled trial balloons). I would even
argue that Oracle has little to benefit from such a purchase, and that
its current strategy is smarter.

> http://www.redhat.com/promo/unfakeable/

I see FUD in that Q&A. Red Hat is accusing Oracle of wanting to fork Red
Hat's software. If that happens it's not Red Hat's software anymore,
it's effectively a separate distribution, and this is totally contrary
to what Oracle is claiming to do.

Given that Red Hat's bread-and-butter business is the prime target of
Oracle's move -- and that now Red Hat and Oracle will likely be hardcore
competition to each other -- I would hardly expect RH analysis of the
move to be unbiased.

- Evan