Redhat taking a beating - stock opportunity here?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 27 15:53:38 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Almost everyone who would use open source mainly because of its social
> conscience is already doing so.

Hmmm. I don't know about that. In my experience, few people are aware of
the social and ethical issues and so it's not part of their decision. As
awareness spreads, this will be a factor for more people.

> In corporate IT, credibility is measure by the ability of a vendor to
> deliver on its promises.

Evan, I agree with a lot of what you say, but not this. Corporate
purchasing decisions have a lot more to do with corporate politics,
personalities, schmoozing, and the (perceived) ability to sue
someone. Vendors of all stripes continually fail to deliver on promises yet
little changes as a result.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada