Redhat taking a beating - stock opportunity here?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 27 13:11:25 UTC 2006

On 10/27/06, Ansar Mohammed <ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> They tried the (more or less) same thing with PeopleSoft. Remember in 2004
> Oracle announced that they were going to buy PeopleSoft and shut down their
> products.. Now who's gunna invest $m in PeopleSoft if the product is going
> to die a quick death.

Ah, but part of what gives RHAT credibility in the Linux market is the
fact that they are paying salaries for various developers of important
Linux-related components, whether that be kernel, compilers, libraries
(libc), and other such stuff.

If I buy services from RHAT, I know I'm sponsoring that development.

If I buy services from Oracle, I know I'm NOT sponsoring that sort of stuff.

That's reason to prefer to buy services from RHAT; I know they are
contributing something to things I'd consider some "greater good."

That's only one more factor, but it is a factor...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.