How much swap?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 27 05:38:53 UTC 2006

Robert Brockway <rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, ted leslie wrote:
>
> > this was only to address the issue that maybe some kernels would object
> > to the absence of swap, and this would trick it.
> > if one is sure that turing vm off in their particular kernel version
> > is ok, then yep, no point in doing below.
>
> To the best of my knowledge Linux will run quite happily (although
> suboptimally) without swap, unlike some older versions of *nix which needed
> swap to avoid memory fragmentation.

There are good reasons to not use swap. On a notebook, using swap can
prevent the HD from spinning down, thus reducing the amount of time you can
run without battery.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada