How much swap?

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 26 19:26:18 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Swapping to ram would be completely pointless and rather stupid.

Yes exactly :)

> Mouting tmp in ram using tmpfs makes perfectly good sense though.  Why
> copy stuff from one part of ram to another through multiple layers of
> block emulation for no useful purpose?

I used to use tmpfs but I stopped doing so for two reasons.  These reasons
are important to me but they may not be as important to others...

1. tmpfs on Linux does not support quotas.  I mostly admin on multi-user
boxes and I don't want users being able to individually fill /tmp.  This
gives all users a bad day.

2. I haven't found a terribly huge performance improvement in using tmpfs.
this is mainly because only a minority of file writes occur in /tmp.

Yeah tmpfs can be used in places other than /tmp but in general these
points still apply.

This is why I've stopped using tmpfs.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073