Rogers and BitTorrent: another datapoint

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 26 16:54:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:18:02 -0400
Paul Nash got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> Remember that your cable connection is asymmetric, so you should get
> 3-6Mbps inbound (to your home) but only about 400kbps outbound (to Rogers'
> network).  If you use bittorrent, your PC will be pushing data out as well
> as sucking it in.  As soon as the outbound traffic gets near the 400kbps
> mark, you're hosed, as any *other* outbound traffic (HTTP requests, for
> example) will be queued up waiting to go, and may wait a l_o_n_g time
> before they get transmitted.

Already had my upstream set to a generous but reasonable level. No matter how I
set it, high or low, same result.

I don't know for *sure* the two things were related, only that they both got
better after enabling encryption. I've seen reports on other lists and on the
Azureus forums that a lot of people experienced the same thing, so I can only
assume. I know, 'ass u me', etc. ;)

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046