XMLHttpRequest POST request on Gecko

Stephen Allen kru_tch-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 26 05:39:12 UTC 2006

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 19:50, Stephen Allen wrote:

<snip>

>> No kidding - That's what Flex is all about, it's here now. :)
>>

> I am quite impressed. But not entirely. Ajax is free, Flex is not. And Flex
> produces Flash files, not web pages. The direction in which Adobe
> (Macromedia) goes does not surprise - even earlier versions of Flash (around
> 3, certainly 4) had a way to communicate with HTTP server, retrieve data, and
> display accordingly. Still, it seems, Flex communicates through HTTP server?

Yes it does. There are some good developer blogs around if you're
interested.

You were talking about accessing a remote database without a browser --
That's a RIA and Flex is going places were AJAX can't.

Unfortunately it's not free, but not everything in this world can be
free and/or opensource. Sometimes one has to compromise. Besides there
is nothing in the OSS area that can compete.<shrug>

Adobe is gaining an increasing awareness of OSS as per the development
of the Flash player for Linux. About time is all I can say; Adobe wants
Flex to run on all platforms with the same user experience. Ambitous,
but I believe they'll pull it off.

I"m excited about Flex and Apollo, and I'm seeing a lot of interest in
RIAs now, and it's only going to increase going forward. If one is a web
developer, this is a genre that one shouldn't ignore IMO.

AJAX, blah. What's old is new again.