mod_perl in a non-apache webserver ?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 25 16:53:58 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>    Until now I have used Boa as a dedicated webserver for my program. I
> would like to be able to use 'mod_perl' (or something similar) to keep
> my scripts compiled (some are fairly complex, sadly). I would like to
> avoid the largness that is Apache2 because I don't want to make my
> program any heavier than it needs to be and something as small as Boa
> does the job just fine.
>
>    Is it possible to use mod_perl in other webservers? If so, any
> specific ones/which? Is there another way of keeping perl scripts
> compiled in memory (or simply compiled) other than mod_perl maybe?

I think you'll need to diverge from Boa, in that case.

The Boa strategy is that it does not fork copies of itself; it only
forks for CGI programs which *must* be separate processes.

If you want to heavily use CGI, then Boa is the wrong option as its
design strategy isn't attuned to that.

If you need the capabilities of mod_perl, then you need to use Apache.

You can get benefit of both by running both Boa (for static content)
and Apache (for dynamic content) by running them on different ports.

An alternative to mod_perl is to look into FastCGI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FastCGI
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.