XMLHttpRequest POST request on Gecko

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 25 16:20:33 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06, Randy Jonasz <rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi Zbigniew,
>
> On 10/24/06, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > Does it work at all?
> >
> > There are a few at least people around who may know. I am having
> problems with
> > that. Things are OK, working on IE 6 and latest Opera. But Mozilla and
> > Firefox refuse to handle it properly. As well, I find no problems using
> GET
> > on all these browsers (actually, I had some, there are tricky
> differences not
> > well documented between them, but I found a way around).
>
> At work, we use the prototype.js library Ruby on Rails uses.  It
> solves all of these cross browser difficulties and is amazingly simple
> to use.  Among other features, you can create an Ajax object and
> specify the method and dom element to update.
>
> Check out http://prototype.conio.net/

Thanks. Will have a look later.

I did solve however my problem. Simply I missed to send some HTTP headers,
and while IE and Opera tolerated that - Mozilla and Firefox did not. The
clue was in adding a header line like this:

    httpRequest.setRequestHeader("Method", "POST "+ url +" HTTP/1.1");

I am however not so much into using other libraries. These things are in
principle simple and building my own code helps me to understand it better
and hence have a better control over it. Though agree that other libraries
are sometime more elegant )

 zb.

Cheers,