open source on dotto tech and g4-tech

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 25 14:41:28 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 01:49:47AM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>
> >I asked Dotto why he never mentioned Linux on his show. He said he'd be
> >glad to as soon as Linux paid him to do so.
>
> >Yeah, that was how he said it. As if "Linux" was a company.
>
> >The conversation didn't go very well after that. I think he'd taken
> >exception to my use of the phrase "media whore".
>
> Rotfl :)
>
> I was as a high performance computing conference today and someone
> actually said words very close to "how can something without monetary
> value be worth anything".  This was infact in reference to a CA service
> being provided free within accademia but the implications for OSS stood
> out to most people in the room.  It was an interesting experience to watch
> most of the people in the room turn their head and look at him with a
> variety of expressions.  No one said a word :)

Perhaps the reply to "how can something without monetary value be worth
anything" should involve something about the worth/value of their
opinion, given it too has no monetary value.  For that matter, does the
right to vote, the right to freedom, etc have no worth?  They have no
monetary value either.  Perhaps some people involved with marketing really
have no clue about anything but money.

At my wife's previous job doing software for automated trains, they
actually had an assigned value of a human life (I don't remember how
much) just so that when doing safety value calculations you could
actually say that yes it is worth implementing this safety value because
it costs less than the statistically likely loss of life during the life
of the product.  If people had no assigned value to a human life they
would leave it out and start claiming every safety feature was too
expensive.

--
Len Sorensen