mod_perl in a non-apache webserver ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 25 14:36:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 08:20:14AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   Until now I have used Boa as a dedicated webserver for my program. I
> would like to be able to use 'mod_perl' (or something similar) to keep
> my scripts compiled (some are fairly complex, sadly). I would like to
> avoid the largness that is Apache2 because I don't want to make my
> program any heavier than it needs to be and something as small as Boa
> does the job just fine.
>
>   Is it possible to use mod_perl in other webservers? If so, any
> specific ones/which? Is there another way of keeping perl scripts
> compiled in memory (or simply compiled) other than mod_perl maybe?

If there isn't a mod_perl equivalant, there is always speedy-cgi-perl
which does something very similar and has essentially all the same
problems as mod_perl (code not being reinitialized entirely each time it
is run, so you have to write much much cleaner code for it to work
right.)  If you write code that can pass 'use strict' and warnings, and
you avoid some of the idiotic clever perl tricks, then you shouldn't
have any problems running your code under either speedy or mod_perl.
speedy will work with anything that can call external cgi scripts.

--
Len Sorensen