MythTV install workshop?

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 24 19:55:19 UTC 2006

--- Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 10/24/06, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > Would there be any interest in doing some sort of
> > MythTV install workshop? My idea is we could get
> > together at some location and do a hands on look
> at
> > building a dedicated MythTV box.
>
> If I had cable, and hence half-decent TV signal, I'd
> absolutely be in
> on this.  I had one of the early Tivos, and very
> much liked it.  I
> don't feel like paying cable fees, so 'tis not
> time...

Someone I know (well.. we know) someone who doesn't
have cable who is looking to set-up a MythTV box,
basically to be a pretty front end for TV shows he has
downloaded off the net. Now, due to legalities I can
NOT recommend that people do that sort of thing, but
for some folks MythTV is interesting even if they
don't have cable/satellite TV.

> Anyways, that's an aside; when I popped up display
> of this thread on
> GMail, their "advertising line" at the top showed
> off the following

Well, MythTV on some conventioal distros. (such as
Debian) can be a ROYAL pain in the tail to set-up.
MOST of the big pain issues disappear with KnoppMyth.

> Apparently someone finds it worthwhile advertising
> their product
> directly against MythTV :-).

Cool :-) .

Colin,