Sickening shilling for MS by Ontario privacy commissioner

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 23 12:58:36 UTC 2006

On 23/10/06, JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:08:57 -0400
> David J Patrick got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:
> > excellent !
> > thanks Cliff,
>
> This is what it all comes down to?
well, no, but in following the research trail, left by our esteemed
colleague, I see that the proposed solution is based on a simple,
existing, open standard, platform agnostic, and might actually work.
Microsoft Vistas identacard implementation is just that; one vendors
approach that is designed from the ground up to interact with any
other vendors implementation.

> "There is an improvement I want to see, and it's something only Independent
> Identities can produce. I want anybody to be able to pay for anything on a
> voluntary basis, because I believe the voluntary ability to pay whatever one
> wants is at the heart of a free and open marketplace.
One OpenID design touchstone is to allow "anybody to pay anybody using
any method". It shuns the "vendor-centric ID silo" in favour of a
broadly distributed system where I have maximal control of my data.

> I also believe we haven't
> experienced that power since the Industrial Revolution put huge suppliers in
> charge, even of democratic governments. We certainly haven't had it since the
> invention of the price tag."
I see that and it seems the champions of OpenID (not just MS) do too.

> Oh yeah, excellent idea. And just how long do you think the 'voluntary'
> part is going to last? Let's put all this technology to work so we can put a
> price tag on *everything*.
Everything already has a pricetag, and sometimes it's $0.

> Why should we even begin to trust Microsoft's
> involvement in any of this, despite the 'brilliance' of people like Kim?
In broad strokes, we shouldn't trust them. Their history of deceit,
backstabbing and monopoly-making is unparalleled, but in this case it
seems as though they've hired someone with enough vision to realize
that a proprietary solution for ID will be utterly unacceptable, and
therefor impossible to implement. If Kims goals are broadly inclusive,
OSS-aware and acceptable to both Doc Searles and Dave Winer, I breath
easier.

> What
> possible place does Microsoft have in a 'free and open marketplace', or even
> designing the technology to supposedly bring one about?
Like it or lump it, 9 out of 10 computer users sit in front of Windows
boxes. No widespread technological advances can happen without them.
As consolation, FLOSS is now entrenched and viable and strong enough
that the folks in Redmond are starting to make concessions. They've
seen what happens when they jump in with jackboots on (see EU
anti-trust actions and backlash from "viral" and "communist"
statements)

> None of this is addressed in the linuxjournal piece. Pfeh. This guy's in
> dreamland.
>
> Keynes (a capitalist) said it best:
>
> "Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the
> most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
That is the mindblowing position we find ourselves in !
Capitalism-R-us. It will be a long row to hoe before we enjoy..
whatever the preferred alternative might be.

> If Ballmer et al are any example...any involvement by people with their kind of
> sociopathy is dangerous to any public good the 'Net may still have to serve.
> This is all about turning the 'Net into one big lame virtual Shopping Mall,
> guaranteed.
Don't get me wrong; Microsoft is not to be trusted, and I wouldn't
touch Vista with a long pointy stick, but the Interweb is what we make
it. As is our glorious free society. We really have no-one to blame
but our SUV drivin', lawn watterin', iPod lovin', Home Depot shoppin',
XP installin' selves. Want to change it ? Yeah, me too, so keep
fightin' the good fight, Joe, but try to be patient and inclusive,
lest we lose potential allies.
djp

djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
www.linuxcaffe.ca