Sickening shilling for MS by Ontario privacy commissioner

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 23 01:01:10 UTC 2006

On 22/10/06, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I repeat this is not a Microsoft specific solution. Microsoft just
> happens to have something implemented in Vista that facilitates this
> identity metasystem . There are other solutions, both proprietary and
> open, for other operating systems [snip]

Perhaps the best way to avert a pure MonopolySoft security solution is
to ensure that viable alternatives/ counterparts exist.

Do we know yet what the analogous open source technologies might be ?
Other than the bits that made us batty, where is the canonical source
of info regarding the venerable " Seven Laws of Identity formulated by
Microsoft", and it's related open standards implementations ? If "a
two-year collaboration of Internet experts and users led by Microsoft"
has been undertaken, where are the resulting findings/ conclusions
made public, or is this new security scheme so top-secret we can't be
trusted with details ? Who else (other than MS and ON) was in on the
development of this spam smashing magic ?

Something or other is to be "grafted onto the bare bones of the
Internet to create a security layer", have we any idea what is to be
grafted ? what bare bones this might refer to ? and if the security
layer in question is like any standard we have heard of ?

The touted "infocards", how are they different from existing security
certs ? Will they make security certificates nonfunctional/ obsolete ?
How is this different from Passport ? Will there be a central
authority to confirm or deny identity ? If so, where ?

Will there be a vetting by impartial security experts before said
"bare bones of the Internet" are re-jigged ? Is there a proposed
timeframe for implementation, or is it just to early to say ?

If "Ms. Cavoukian wants such personal security measures built into the
very bones of all security systems being created by companies around
the world", is this a brand new global open standard, where everyone's
invited, and if so, what's the url, or is Vista gonna be so darned
good, it's a foregone conclusion that it will be adopted worlwide ?

we gots ta know !
djp

djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
www.linuxcaffe.ca