Sickening shilling for MS by Ontario privacy commissioner

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 21 01:16:44 UTC 2006

Walter Dnes wrote:
>   People, complain to your MPPs.  Ann Cavoukian is cheerleading for
> Microsoft on her taxpayer-funded salary.
>
>   MS is the problem, not the solution.  Spam and spammers websites and
> DNS are provided by bot-armies of compromised Windows machines.  Yet,
> here is an Ontario government official beating the drum for Microsoft's
> "7 laws of identity" at...
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061018.gtprivacy18/BNStory/Technology
>
>   I couldn't resist commenting and pointing a link to...
> http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/you-might-be.html
>
>   Here's a transcript of a live chat session conducted today...
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061018.gtcavoukianlive19/BNStory/Technology/home
> It doesn't sound like I missed much.  Anybody who wants to witness 90
> minutes of tap-dancing is better better off renting the "Riverdance"
> video, at least you'll be better entertained.

So now that we're all all done jerking various parts of ourselves, what are we
going to *do*? The consensus i get is that there is the need for some form of
discussion -- no one seems to have attempted disputing that. Do we attempt to
arrange some sort of public forum with the commissioner or do we just stop now
having expended all our energies with silly back and forth twaddling and bickering?

There are two obvious sides to this like every technical issue: there are the
informed savvy users and uninformed or totally practical. Choose which camp you
belong to -- it doesn't matter. The point is, the informed may consider the
reactions of the uninformed plebs as beyond reproach, while your common person
who couldn't care less won't understand what all the fuss is about and will take
whatever privacy measures are deemed appropriate as just that, appropriate
protection given from on high by the gods of the free market and its
democratically elected protectors.

So do we step up and arrange something or rest easy knowing that someone else
will do the work and arrange something, then when nothing happens say to
ourselves: "At least i weighed in on the issue, it's very important that I at
least have an opinion."

Who is doing something, who wants to, what, where, and how do we proceed? A
meeting anyone? I'd sure like to know more as I'm sure many out there would.
Perhaps those self appointed experts on the issue would care to have a round
table with anyone interested?

Jamon