configuring Thundebird

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 18 05:41:02 UTC 2006

John McGregor wrote:
> Evan, I think that you need to access 'about:config'. This article will
> help you get started. http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

Hi John,

That wasn't the complete answer, however, given your pointer I was able
to find the answer elsewhere within Mozillazine.

The issue is actually a Debian-specific facility in which system
defaults are noted in /etc/alternatives. There is a script-based
interface for building this area, `update-alternatives`, which I
discovered at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser -- this is
certainly not something obvious! Running this, and selecting firefox,
accomplished what I'd wanted without needing to muck about in the
about:config jungle...

Thanks for the help, pointing me in the right direction. One question
down, five to go. :-)

- Evan