is open office ready for university?

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 17 17:08:34 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06, PW Armstrong <pw.armstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> sooooo, my daughter is off to university
>
> yes, I've bought her a laptop
>
> yes, I've caved, it runs xp
>
> but I balked at buying a copy of ms office

Somebody already mentioned the academic discounts.  MS Office should
be dirt cheap for her if she walks into the bookstore with her student
card and buys it herself.  You won't be able to buy it for her without
paying a fortune (since you can't buy an OEM version now that you've
already purchased the machine)

Let her know what you think, but she should make the decision.
Remember too, that this is the office suite that she'll be most
familiar with when she enters the workforce.  She'll *need* to know MS
Office, whether she uses it or not.

-Mike