is open office ready for university?

paul sutton zleap-Tp5KeRqLOeNeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 17 07:37:47 UTC 2006

On the devon / cornwall lug in the uk,  I am involved in a discussion on
GNU/LInux in schools, one of the things that keeps coming up in these
discussions is
should schools / colleges etc be teaching people how to use computers
and software or
should they be teaching how to use a specific package, which may not
even be in use by the time that person leaves the insitution,   I think
the consensus is that if you teach how to use a computer you teach the
skills required to allow the users to learn any package they come across
and adapt to the needs of the place they using.

I agree with what was said is that Open office should be perfectly
adequate for most courses.  The important thing about openoffice is that
it's not just free as in cost, but free as in freedom and allows copying
and distribution of the software.

The open office site has lots of excellent free resources, for learning
the software, I agree with what was said, give it a go.

Paul