FC4 to FC5 update, ypbind broken

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 17 02:37:01 UTC 2006

On Monday 16 October 2006 16:53, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> Local Firewall?
> BTW, how stable is FC5?

I had been running Mandrake/Mandriva on the laptop I'm using to type
this since 2002 until this August. I couldn't get dual monitor
support working on it which I needed to drive an LCD projector at a
conference. That set off a flurry of testing various distros
including Mandriva 2007 beta, which wouldn't install at all (the
installer would freeze), the latest Kubuntu, which installed fine but
unfortunately didn't support the external video output either no
matter what I tried, and finally, FC5 which worked (though not
without lots of glitches). In the two months that I ran FC5, I had
more hard freezes than I did in the four years prior. Fedora Core was
a big disappointment and got wiped off this machine last week when I
decided to take a stab at Gentoo. I run Gentoo on a few servers
already so I am familiar with it but had always resisted it for my
laptop figuring it would take too long to build things from source on
a P3/850. It does take too long but, that will change when I set up
distcc and push package building onto machines on the network. My
reasons for using Gentoo have nothing to do with the alleged
performance gains one can get from running a DIY distro. If it is any
faster, I haven't noticed.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay