reiserfs

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 12 23:04:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Christopher Browne wrote:

> I'm most inclined to use ext3 for databases, as that's the most mature
> *and* most actively worked on filesystem.  IBM actually sponsors the
> team that's working on ext3, which might seem a mite ironic...  And
> I'm not sure what has survived of SGI to support XFS...

SGI continue to actively support xfs.  The total number of developers is
no doubt smaller than ext3 but xfs is a mature filesystem and I've had
only a single problem[1] with it in the last 3-4 years that I've used it
as my preferred filesystem.

Ext3 definitely suffers a performance penalty on large filesystems.  I
have one 6.5TB filesystem I want to change from Ext3 to xfs for
performance reasons.

[1] Just recently I accidentally powered off a firewire enclosure at
my place while the xfs filesystem was mounted.  The filesystem complained
of problems and in the end I needed to do an xfs_repair -L but it was then
fine.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073