Can't Access Public Samba Share

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 12 00:45:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:04:28 -0400
Madison Kelly got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> Here is my smb.conf on my Debian machine... I haven't had any troubles.

Hmmm, looks pretty much the same as mine, except for the netbios name.

I ended up adding:

	security = share
        workgroup = WORKGROUP

...which let the Windows 98 machine in to Public, but now seems to have locked
me out of mounting my own *home* dir on the server from my Linux desktop :P

Hopefully when I switch those back...

> Have you added a user to 'smbpasswd'?

Hmmm, no, I just assumed that since it was a public share open to 'guests' that
a password would not be necessary. So I would run smbpasswd on the server to
add the username from the Win box? What if the password is blank, as is almost
always the case on Win boxes? ;)

BTW, anyone else notice it takes a long time for their posts to make it back
from the list? My original post didn't show up here until long after Dave
Bour's reply, and my reply to him has as yet not come back to me...

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046