Can't Access Public Samba Share

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 11 21:19:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:57:41 -0400
Dave Bour got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> If it doesn't prompt for user/password, replace the name with IP and repeat
> If still fails, look for firewalls especially Norton Internet Security.
> Disable if found. Repeat. What happens?

I got it to prompt for a password, but not user. It's Win98, so it doesn't have
the 'connect as' capability, AFAICT.

I did a google search and found these bits to change/add in my smb.conf

	security = share
        workgroup = WORKGROUP

It worked like a charm. Sorry, should always Google before I ask :P

I'm not sure that's a good setting, tho, is that less secure? I'm behind a
firewall so I don't think anyone could access the share from outside...

Thanks for the reply!

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046