reiserfs

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 11 19:47:26 UTC 2006

> Haven't had that happen personally and I've had some pretty heavily loaded
> stuff, used online resizing a lot, etc.

Just to add a counterpoint, I have had a personal experience with
ReiserFS failing.

My distro of choice is Gentoo, which meant a boat-load of compiling
when they upgraded to GCC 4.1.1.  My (small) laptop harddrive filled
up during a recompile of GCC itself, and it hosed the file system.  I
had to fsck --rebuild-tree, or something (I forget the exact command
line).

Fortunately, the only files I lost were temporary compiler output for
the upgrade I was in the middle of, but it did prompt me to make a
back-up of my wedding and honeymoon photos.  I'm still using ReiserFS
because, so far, the only problems I've had have been when the file
system is either completely full or very nearly so and I've heard
rumblings that these are edge cases for any file system.  Now, I'm
more diligent about leaving some free space lying around.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com