reiserfs

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 11 19:25:57 UTC 2006

On 10/11/06, Fraser Campbell <fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 15:03, Christopher Browne wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, if I can't trust Reiser3 not to eat my files, that's
> > not going to incline me towards Reiser4...
>
> Haven't had that happen personally and I've had some pretty heavily loaded
> stuff, used online resizing a lot, etc.

I actually haven't been bitten, but there have been bug reports out there...

> Out of curiousity what filesystem do you use to store your larger postgresql
> databases on?

Sigh.  JFS2.  Which hasn't been ported to Linux...

I have seen data loss on unclean shutdown (where loss is liable to be
pretty total :-() with all of:
 - JFS 1
 - XFS
 - Ext3

I'm most inclined to use ext3 for databases, as that's the most mature
*and* most actively worked on filesystem.  IBM actually sponsors the
team that's working on ext3, which might seem a mite ironic...  And
I'm not sure what has survived of SGI to support XFS...

> P.S. Thanks for doing the talk last night, very informative.

I hope it was useful.
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.