POLICE CHARGE HANS REISER WITH MURDER

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 11 19:03:50 UTC 2006

On 10/11/06, Fraser Campbell <fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Speaking of reiserfs it's interesting to note that SuSE is considering
> dropping it as the default filesystem.
>
> Apparently, reiserfs (3) might be quite a poor choice for any high traffic
> filesystem ... see message posted at
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2006-09/msg00542.html

Well, the "neat choice" would be version 4; the development team
largely ceased maintaining version 3 in favor of getting functionality
into the newer version.

There's something understandable about that: it's way more fun to see
about enhancing the new thing than to go through the much more boring
task of making the old one stable.

Unfortunately, if I can't trust Reiser3 not to eat my files, that's
not going to incline me towards Reiser4...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.