Dovecot configuration

Kihara Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 10 16:53:30 UTC 2006

Hi guys and girls

 I am trying to set up dovecot, but I am in the dark at one of its
configuration, for the moment. In a nutshell, I have no idea where dovecot
pull the mails from. This is necessary as I want to point this directory to
SMTP server data directory. I was looking looking for a line like this
¨DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"¨ from the apache configuration file.
 From the dovecot configuration file, these are the only line that look
close, but I am not sure about them

# Base directory where to store runtime data.
#base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
I suspect this can not be it, as data disappear after dovecot demon is
killed

The other possibility was
# Directory where authentication process places authentication UNIX sockets
# which login needs to be able to connect to. The sockets are created when
# running as root, so you don't have to worry about permissions. Note that
# everything in this directory is deleted when Dovecot is started.
login_dir = /var/run/dovecot-login
Now, what do I say about this. In hobble opinion, this is also a run time
repository as can be infered from this like, ¨authentication process places
authentication unix sockets¨.
 Finally, I am working under this assumption. Sendmail and imap have to
share the mail directory. Is this assumption correct?

Thanks
William