Disable Gnome's help (at least when pressing <F1>)

Tue Oct 10 16:44:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 08:46:00AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:

>  On my laptop the <esc> key is directly above the <F1> key. This
>causes me a lot of headaches in 'vim' :p. Is it possible/does anyone
>know how to tell Gnome to *NOT* open 'help' when <F1> is pressed?

Generally, you can map the F1 key to something else.  You can just do
the mapping in vim to ensure that your change makes the smallest
difference to your environment, but you should be able to do it in the
window manager as well.

You should probably map F1 to something innocuous though, or your
solution will make you batty.

That said, I fix this by mapping the Caps Lock key to Esc, and then I
reach less and keep my fingers closer to home.  The side effect is that
I never find myself accidentally SHOUTING AT EVERYONE or messing up
passwords.
--

yours,

William