Money and Linux

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 6 16:53:41 UTC 2006

Rick Tomaschuk wrote:
> I like Doc Searls Linux for Suits Page 44, Linux Journal, October 2006
> column about the effect Linux has on our world. " Linux is building
> material. It's primary value is not in itself, but what it makes
> possible...Far more money is made because of Linux than with it." That
> about sums it up.

The implication there is that Linux's value is best measured in monetary
terms. While undoubtedly true to some degree, and more so for those who
use Linux as a part of their business, (I don't buy the TCO FUD put out
by some), I do think that part of Linux's value is inherent in it's
ontic (digital or otherwise) existence.

The value of linux, in and of itself, can also be understood (not
measured in this case) as a manifestation of a value system(s) -- one
that Linus Torvalds valued enough to use to license his kernel. The
various BSD, GPL, licenses are the truly valuable things, because they
represent the legally codified philosophical or value systems of their
creators. Historical value too, though I am not an historian so am
clueless as to how one would (or if it is appropriate) make historical
value judgments.

It is easier to measure the monetary value of a thing like Linux or
apache or whatever than it is to describe the value of the value system
that allows or allowed Linux or apache to exist and flourish in the
first place.

Still, Searls' analysis above is commendable and astute.

Jamon