DSL install without CD drive?

Rob Sutherland rob-3Aypa9sX/B7wvR0lvYjcXw at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 5 13:40:41 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 October 2006 08:51, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> Are you wanting to do the install with floppies only and with the PC
> negotiating it's own pppoe connection?  It would seem easier to just
> connect either a temporary CD or temporary router.

Yes, you're absolutely right, I'm just short on reliable CD drives at the
moment, so I'm trying this :-(

I'm using a 2 floppy mini-distro called blueflops -
http://blueflops.sourceforge.net/

and the box has a working nic and access to a DSL connection, so I can
download and manipulate things.

From what I've read, the approach seems to be that you create two partitions,
download the distro you want to install to one and then install it on the
other partition.

> You could give Debian a try, grab the floppies from
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current//i
>mages/floppy/

Ok, cool, I'll try that...

> If you have other PCs on the network you might be able to PXE boot your box
> or use the floppies in combination with a local install image. More details
> on exactly what difficulty you're having would help ...

I think I need to understand how to set things up to install from a local
install image after booting with a floppy.

Rob