At the US border

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 3 03:50:02 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 05:42:21PM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Without skepticism and the ability to allow one's personal ethics to
> supersede law, I wonder how much journalism from the last century (for
> example), would have gone unwritten or unpublished?

Well, all of the journalism written by people to whom writing
is simply a job would be unaffected (they tend to write about
issues that are not ethically significant to the writer),
all of the spin writing too (those writers generally *do*
worry about not superceding law since they are definitely not
worrying about any sort of ethics).

The vast majority, espeially that part covered by Sturgeon's
Law, would be unaffected.

The small amount that would be affected, however, would be
the most important and most significant pieces of journalism
of the period.

The important question is not "how much?" but "which?".