php and me don't get alone... help?

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 30 23:40:33 UTC 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 11:57, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:30, Madison Kelly wrote:
> >>    Is this why PHP/MySQL are so popular together?
> >
> > I gave up looong time ago and when I install apache (and php, mysql,
> > postgres, etc) I do that by compiling from sources. It is really simple
> > to do and you are free. I would never trust installing these things from
> > rpm or another apt-get.
> >
> > zb.
>
> That's an unfortunate statement, but understandable. You'd think
> something as popular as PHP would have support for a DB server like
> PostgreSQL. Is there any public rationale for such poor support? I've
> never had trouble with Perl + PostgreSQL/MySQL and can't fathom why PHP
> would. Oh well...

The meaning of my message was not that PHP does not offer postgres support, as
it is obviously clear by now from this thread.

I wanted to point out that using rpm's etc is seldom the best way of
installing and configuring these beasts. Why? PHP offers a lot of optional
libraries. I am personally used to play with many, just for fun or purpose.
And it is highly unlikely to find an rpm that would allow me to use just
these libraries that I need. Besides, things change from distribution to
distribution, from one php release version to another.

Hence, I become independent of rpm's to avoid problems and confusion. I keep
notes about every new installation of apache (with PHP, etc) I do and,
believe me or not, after a few tens of times at least i did installation, I
do not need to use these notes much ;) But after already making installation
once, properly, one knows how to compile all this stuff and not worry about
finding a proper rpm.

zb.