For $150, Third-World Laptop Stirs a Big Debate

Rick Tomaschuk rickl-ZACYGPecefkm4kRHVhTciCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 30 21:12:28 UTC 2006

North America has so many 'obsolete' computers it seems a waste to send
them to China, etc. to be broken down for scrap when they could be used
in developing countries. $150 laptop??? How about an obsolete PIII for
$25.00 running Linux and a $10.00 obsolete monitor. Where is the $150
laptop now. Its a joke. Why does anyone need it???? I have a significant
amount of exposure to developing countries which I won't go into now but
let me say many of the people in non-war torn countries are quite
content not to have a McDonalds at every third street corner. They value
their way of life. Its business people who convince their politicians to
buy into the North American tread mill way of life.

RickT