For $150, Third-World Laptop Stirs a Big Debate

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 30 18:56:40 UTC 2006

Rick Tomaschuk wrote:
> Yes I know a poor African boy/girl desperately need a laptop. How else can the carry water from the stream to their hut?
OLPC is not going to replace irrigation and low tech needs, but it
serves a very different purpose. Education and literacy improvement is a
very important component of lifting societies out of poverty, and
technology does have a role to play. For example: the introduction of
the cellphone, together with the concept of microcredits, have increased
revenue for rural African farmers by eliminating (often corrupt)
middlemen in finding buyers and conducting price negotiations.

Tiny cheap computers, on the own, will add little. However, they will
enable OTHER things to happen in the field of communications and
education. Huge amounts of money have already been donated in this
regard, largely proving to be of little value by the time any of the aid
trickled down to the villages. This looks like an effort in which most
of the money spent will actually make it into the hand of the intended
recipients.

As well, look at the countries ordering the project -- Brazil, Thailand,
Libya, Argentina. None of these are in the poorest parts of Africa, and
they already have computer literacy initiatives in place.

Many developing countries look to India and want a piece of the IT
outsourcing pie. The OLPC is a good step in helping increasing basic
literacy and computer literacy. Some countries -- notably Brazil -- see
OLPC and related efforts as a way to make their countries more
self-sufficient in IT and not dependent on the US.

So if the World Bank is willing to help this happen, that's fine with me.
> How about looking at what drives this lunacy. Big banks, the 'New World Disorder'.
Sorry, but that doesn't wash. The convenient scam inherent in conspiracy
theories is that reasonable efforts to disprove them are met with
accusations of being part of the conspiracy.

As someone who has personally had to defend association-by-faith to the
targets of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, (and mutations of it
such as Henry Ford's accusation that Jewish bankers started world war 1)
I find such "revelations" to be worse than a waste of time. They are
truly destructive to real attempts at societal progress, a thinly-veiled
excuse for bigotry that is no better than racism or religious extremism.

Anyone who tells you he has _the_ truth, surely doesn't. And bankers are
people too.

- Evan