What to do with .flv files?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 30 05:39:28 UTC 2006

| From: Simon <simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| # change to cache dir by assuming that there's only one directory in the
| # firefox
| # dir, but we don't know what it is, so cd to the first directory we can find
| # and hope it has a Cache folder in it
| for file in ~/.mozilla/firefox/*; do
| 	if [ -d $file ]; then
| 		cd $file/Cache || { echo "I screwed up, change to your Cache
| directory and run this again for better results.  Press ctrl-c to kill
| the script
| 		now unless you're aready in the desired directory." && sleep
| 		5; }
| 		break;
| 	fi;
| done

The line breaks in the echo and sleep commands are accidental, I
assume.  So I'm reading them out.  It is often best to fold long lines
oneself.

I don't understand the && before the sleep.  It should not be
necessary when { } is used.

The "if all else fails, fall through" seems scary.  Perhaps a check
that `pwd matches` ~/.mozilla/*/*/Cache would be a good idea.

Error messages should go to standard error and should be clearly
marked as errors.  They should make it clear what is reporting the
error.

This seems simpler [UNTESTED]:

# change into the first firefox Cache directory
cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/Cache/.  \
|| {
	echo "Error: $0 didn't find a firefox Cache directory" >&2
	exit 1;
   }

If there are multiple firefox subdirectories with with Cache
subdirectories, this will choose the first (cd seems to ignore
arguments after the first -- yuck).

If you wish to better handle this case, the right thing might be to
make this a for loop and have the rest of the script in the for body:
scavange files from all Caches.