report cards read-only on floppy

Mike Oliver moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 28 22:41:36 UTC 2006

Sy Ali wrote:

> So yes, file shreding and free space wiping is the answer.. but it's
> terribly inconvenient to do sometimes.. so maybe using a thumb drive
> etc is indeed easier for security reasons (and worse for lifespan
> reasons)

How *do* you wipe free space on an ext2 or ext3 filesystem?  I've
never seen a utility specifically for that; I'd assume there must
be one.  (Of course you can always do "cat /dev/urandom > a" and
wait till it fails on a full filesystem, then "rm a", but I'd think
there'd be a cleaner solution somewhere.)