report cards read-only on floppy

Mike Oliver moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 28 18:03:48 UTC 2006

Chris Aitken wrote:

> I tried that. Still read-only.
>
> [chris at p733 chris]$ su
> Password:
> [root at p733 chris]# touch /mnt/floppy/*.doc
> [root at p733 chris]#

I have to say I'm not sure why you want to do in-place
editing of files on a floppy in the first place.  Flexible
media are inherently error-prone, and every read and every
write is another chance for them to screw up.  What I'd
do is copy the file to my local hard disk, edit it there,
and then copy it back.  That way you do only one read
and one write.  (You might want to shred the copy remaining
on your HDD afterwards, for privacy reasons.)

If the write permissions won't let you copy it back, just
blow away the whole filesystem on the floppy and make
a new one.