How best to debug a crash?

jim ruxton cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 28 17:13:18 UTC 2006

> > The commonest (but not the only) cause of mystery crashes I've
> > found has been bad memory.
>
> The most common causes of mystery crashes I have found to be in this
> order:
>
> 1. Flash on any browser - it's only a matter of time before I hit a
> Flash infested site that will cause the disk access light to stay on
> constantly and no keyboard, mouse, or ssh responsiveness.
>
> 2. Firefox - same as Flash story above.
Yes I am usually running Firefox when a crash happens along with
whatever else I may be doing at the time.

> 3. X,
>
> 4. Running Fedora Core :)
>
> Seriously, I had more crashes on the laptop on which I'm typing this
> in the six weeks I ran FC5 than I did in the few years prior. I
> haven't had a single crash since I dumped FC5 and installed Suse 10.1
> on this machine so I know it wasn't a hardware problem.
I'm tempted to try another distribution however I really like the
packages created for Fedora from
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

Maybe I should just always close Firefox when I'm not using it and see
if I have less crashes.

jim