report cards read-only on floppy

Chris Aitken caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 28 14:40:05 UTC 2006

Ivan Avery Frey wrote:

<snip>

> But Linux does have a way of mounting a MSDOS or VFAT (FAT32)
> partition in such a way that it can "pretend" that each file or
> directory on such a partition has a specific set of attributes.

Why would it be MSDOS or VFAT partition? I created all the files in linux.

I added 'rw' to the floppy line in /etc/fstab and rebooted (I couldn't
rember the command to get the system to re-read fstab). Still, the files
are read-only. I tried my chmod -R 777 /mnt/floppy/ command again -
didn't help. I tried running that same command as the superuser - again
I get the read-only filesystem errors:

[root at p733 chris]# chmod -R 777 /mnt/floppy/
chmod: changing permissions of `/mnt/floppy/': Read-only file system
chmod: changing permissions of `/mnt/floppy/rpt.0607.jk.aaliyah.1.doc':
Read-only file system
chmod: changing permissions of `/mnt/floppy/rpt.0607.jk.austin.1.doc':
Read-only file system
<snip>