linux-based stereo?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 25 22:00:01 UTC 2006

Hi,

last year I built the family a mythtv box for xmas and it was the only
tefhnical project I've ever done that my family actually uses.  (so
hooray for that!).

Now my girlfriend really wants to move to an electronic stereo system,
probably with an ipod as a central component.  but I'd really like to
create a stereo component built around linux either intead of the ipod,
or as a tool which can also mount and sync with the ipod.  so I have two
main ideas:

(1):  an old laptop that can sit on top of the stereo and into into
which an ipod might be plugged.  I guess I'd run amarok on it, unless
someone has another suggestion.

(2): a cheap compact "deskbook" sized computer (I saw some at Above All)
with an lcd screen and a remote  I like the idea of a remote!  I odn't
know what software you'd run on something like that.

one reason I really want a more complex system instead of just an ipod
is that I find ipods a little clujsy to scroll through and queue music
in.

Anyway I wondered if anyone else had experimented with such systems and
if so, if you have any suggestions.

Thanks much!

matt

--