how to do live data feeds to Open Office Calc spreadsheets

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-bYF1QM81rroS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 25 15:17:35 UTC 2006

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 07:09:35 -0500, "bob" <ican-rZHaEmXdJNJWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> said:
> The Open Office package also supports a socket based interface called
> UNO.
> There is a Tcl implementation of this interface called tcluno.

Python is the best supported high level language for OpenOffice
scripting.  I've got a few links to Python+OO resources in my Del.ic.ios
bookmarks http://del.icio.us/andmalc/openoffice

> The API appears to have a very steep learning curve and I couldn't figure
> out
> how to archive the data when the Calc spreadsheet wasn't active.   ie. it
> seemed to me that the UNO interface only worked while Open Office was up
> and
> running.

Yes, I think that's right.

> To be fair the UNO interface seems to allow a very comprehensive
> automation of
> the entire Open Office API.

Here's a tutorial on scripting Calc from Python.  There's no example for
this but you must be able to alter data in an existing spreadsheet.

http://www.stuvel.eu/ooo-python