Any "out-of-the-box" PVRs or "digital VCRs"?

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 25 01:23:46 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 12:29, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> I will just wait for 1080p TVs to become available and resonably priced.
> Until they I will stick with NTSC.

Last Nov I purchased a Panasonic PT-AE900U projector which is probably the
best there is for the home market.  It handles practically every format that
one might find, right up to 1080i.  The cost was pretty low for a 92" Horiz.
image.  Even at that size, when the camera is in good focus, one can see the
blades of grass on the football field.

I wish it made sense to get a blueray DVD player, most DVD's appear a bit soft
compared to a live picture.  But the're still much better than viewing it on
any CRT or LCD.

 A projector isn't for everyone,  but size does matter,  for many programs.
Even at a 70" dia. image, it equals any LCD set I've seen, at a fraction of
the cost.  This isn't intended as a commercial, but HDTV is well worth the
extra cost and the closer you can match a theatre environment, the more
impressive it is.

I've got Myth installed on a box, and I'm reaching the point where the experts
here will start seeing some questions. Right now it is just for reg. TV and
will be for some time. Last I heard people were still trying to find a way of
using the output of the Rogers HD box.  The price of an HDTV card is below
$150 if one wants to use an off-air signal.

Cheerio

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can