how to do live data feeds to Open Office Calc spreadsheets

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 24 20:47:43 UTC 2006

Very, very neat. I can see this being useful in logging data from our
scope into a spreadsheet where you could do various waveform math
operations.

Peter

> FYI.   I did a quick experiment with Calc using the "Link External Data"
> feature to connect a Calc spreadsheet to a simple text file.
>
> As long at the text file was a simple HTML table as in:

> I was able to get the corresponding cells in the Calc spreadsheet to
> reflect
> the data in the text file (after the default 60 refresh polling period).
> In other words on another console I could vi the text file,  change a
> value,
> wait for 60 secs and the spreadsheet cell would be updated.   Magic.
>
> Now all I have to do is write a background process to convert the data
> logger
> output into a html formated text file and my kludge should work ...
>
> I'm going to date myself here.   Way back in the late 80's I worked in a
> lab
> which used Macs.    The Mac software had a feature called publish and
> subscribe which allowed us to connect a live feed from a QNX system into
> graphical content in a Wordperfect report.   ie. data in the feed changed
> and
> the graph in the report automatically updated itself.
>
> Now 17+ years later ... oh well that's progress sometimes.
>
> bob
>

> On Thursday 23 November 2006 04:21 pm, bob wrote:
>> I looking for a way to pass live data from a data logging application
>> into
>> an Open Office Calc spreadsheet.
>>
>> Google didn't yield many clues other than there may be Python hooks
>> available in v2.x.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> bob
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325