how to do live data feeds to Open Office Calc spreadsheets

bob ican-rZHaEmXdJNJWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 24 20:24:16 UTC 2006

FYI.   I did a quick experiment with Calc using the "Link External Data"
feature to connect a Calc spreadsheet to a simple text file.

As long at the text file was a simple HTML table as in:

I was able to get the corresponding cells in the Calc spreadsheet to reflect
the data in the text file (after the default 60 refresh polling period).
In other words on another console I could vi the text file,  change a value,
wait for 60 secs and the spreadsheet cell would be updated.   Magic.

Now all I have to do is write a background process to convert the data logger
output into a html formated text file and my kludge should work ...

I'm going to date myself here.   Way back in the late 80's I worked in a lab
which used Macs.    The Mac software had a feature called publish and
subscribe which allowed us to connect a live feed from a QNX system into
graphical content in a Wordperfect report.   ie. data in the feed changed and
the graph in the report automatically updated itself.

Now 17+ years later ... oh well that's progress sometimes.

bob